Sydney Cricket Ground

SYDNEY

View Larger Map
Capacity: 44,000
Floodlights: Yes
Ends: Paddington End, Randwick End
Home team: New South Wales
Local time : GMT +1100

 
Tests ODIs

- Played: 101
- Win by home side: 56
- Win by visitors: 28
- Win by neutral team: 0
- Win batting 1st: 44
- Win batting 2nd: 40
- Drawn: 17
- Tied: 0

- Played: 141
- Win by home side: 77
- Win by visitors: 37
- Win by neutral team: 21
- Win batting 1st: 80
- Win batting 2nd: 55
- Tied: 0
- No result: 6
Recent highest test totals:
- India 705/7d (2004)
- Australia 659/4d (2012)
- England 644 (2011)
Recent highest ODI totals:
- Australia 368/5 (2006) 
- Australia 344 (2006)
- Australia 334/8 (2011)
Highest individual score: 329* (Michael Clarke) Highest individual score: 151 (Andrew Symonds)
Best bowling (innings): 8/35 (George Lohmann) Best bowling: 5/15 (Greg Chappell)
Best bowling (match): 12/87 (Charles Turner)
Average S/R: 30.14 Average S/R: 26.92
Average RpO: 2.85 Average RpO: 4.48
Highest Individual Scores Highest Individual Scores
329 - MJ Clarke (Aus)
287
- RE Foster (Eng)
277 - BC Lara (WI)
251 - WR Hammond (Eng)
242 - KD Walters (Aus)
151 - A Symonds (Aus)
139 - Yuvraj Singh (Ind)
138* - GS Chappell (Aus)
137 - IJL Trott (Eng)
131 - AC Gilchrist (Aus)
Best Bowling Analysis Best Bowling Analysis
8/35 - GA Lohman (Eng)
8/58 - GA Lohman (Eng)
8/94 - T Richardson (Eng)
8/141 - A Kumble (Ind)
7/40 - RG Barlow (Eng)
5/15 - GS Chappell (Aus)
5/19 - AJ Bichel (Aus)
5/22 - BA Williams (Aus)
5/26 - RJ Hadlee (NZ)
5/26 - MA Holding (WI)
Record Partnerships Record Partnerships
1st - 234 - G Boycott/RW Barber (Eng)
2nd - 224 - W Bardsley/C Hill (Aus)
                   SM Gavaskar/M Amarnath (Ind)
3rd - 293 - RB Richardson/BC Lara (WI)
4th - 353 - VVS Laxman/SR Tendulkar (Ind)
5th - 405 - SG Barnes/DG Bradman (Aus)
6th - 187 - WW Armstrong/CE Kelleway (Aus)
7th - 173 - A Symonds/GB Hogg (Aus)
8th - 154 - GJ Bonnor/SP Jones (Aus)
9th - 154 - SE Gregory/JM Blackham (Aus)
10th - 130 - RE Forster/W Rhodes (Eng)
1st - 237 - MS Atapattu/ST Jayasuriya (SL)
2nd - 167* - DC Boon/TM Moody (Aus)
                     CJ Tavare/AJ Lamb (Eng)
3rd - 190 - GA Hick/N Hussain (Eng)
4th - 237 - RT Ponting/A Symonds (Aus)
5th - 139 - LRD Mendis/PA de Silva (SL)
6th - 112 - ME Waugh/SP O'Donnell (Aus)
7th - 74 - DS Lehmann/GB Hogg (Aus)
8th - 83 - MG Bevan/PR Reiffel (Aus)
9th - 72 - DL Vettori/KD Mills (NZ)
10th - 63 - SR Watson/AJ Bichel (Aus)

The Sydney Cricket Ground (SCG) is a sports stadium in Sydney in Australia. It is used for Australian football, Test cricket, One Day International cricket, some rugby league and rugby union matches and is the home ground for the New South Wales Blues cricket team and the Sydney Swans of the Australian Football League. It is owned and operated by the SCG Trust that also manages the Sydney Football Stadium located next door.

History

In 1811, the Governor of New South Wales, Lachlan Macquarie, established the second Sydney Common, about one-and-a-half miles wide and extending south from South Head Rd (now Oxford St) to where Randwick Racecourse is today. Part sandhills, part swamp and situated on the south-eastern fringe of the city, it was used as a rubbish dump in the 1850s and not regarded as an ideal place for sport.

In 1851, part of the Sydney Common south of Victoria Barracks was granted to the British Army for use as a garden and cricket ground for the soldiers. Its first user was the 11th North Devonshire Regiment which flattened and graded the southern part of the rifle range adjacent to the Barracks. In the next couple of years, the teams from Victoria Barracks combined themselves into a more permanent organisation and called themselves the Garrison Club. The ground therefore became known as the Garrison Ground when it was first opened in February 1854.

Up until that time Hyde Park had been the main sporting and racing ground in the colony but when it was dedicated as public gardens in 1856 city cricketers and footballers had to find somewhere else to play. In the late 1860s another part of the Sydney Common, the area west of the Garrison Ground to the then Dowling Street, was opened for public recreation. It was named Moore Park after the Mayor of Sydney, Charles Moore, who planted a number of Moreton Bay Fig trees which exist to this day.

As well as the location of Sydney's first zoo, Moore Park was a regular venue for games between Sydney rugby clubs Sydney University and the Wallaroos. Sydney at the time was a small, dense city and best navigated on foot and Moore Park was on the outskirts. It was not liked so much by cricketers because it was too far from the city. When the commander of the Sydney garrison, Lieutenant-Colonel John Richardson, aligned his soldiers to the East Sydney Cricket Club, the Garrison Ground became known as the Civil and Military Ground.

In 1870 British troops left Victoria barracks and the future of the Civil and Military Ground became uncertain. However, with the closure of the Albert Ground in the 1870s, the NSW Cricket Association (NSWCA) began regular use of the Civil and Military Ground. In 1875 the NSW Government began to upgrade the ground. Despite efforts by Victoria Barracks and then the Carlingford, Redfern, Fitzroy and Albert cricket clubs to take control, the then president of the NSWCA, Richard Driver (after whom Driver Avenue outside the ground is named), persuaded the government to let the NSWCA look after the ground's administration.

In 1876, the ground was dedicated by Governor Sir Hercules Robinson. The NSWCA had influential supporters. Driver himself was a prominent MP and solicitor for the City of Sydney Council. The Minister for Lands, Thomas Garrett, was also supportive; his son was about to break into the colonial side. It is hardly surprising therefore that within a couple of years of the NSWCA taking control of the ground, the governor, Sir Hercules Robinson, appointed Driver himself, William W. Stephen and Phillip Sheridan (after whom a grandstand was named), the first trustees. Two trustees were appointed by the government and one by the NSWCA. The close relationship between the Trust and the NSWCA is evidenced by the fact that they pooled funds for the next six years.

The military's link with the ground was finally severed when John Richardson and the Sydney garrison went to fight in the Sudan. The trustees then took the opportunity to rename the ground the Association Ground In 1883 the most prominent trustee, Sheridan, regarding the ground as the responsibility of the trustees, began to act independently of the NSWCA, resulting in the NSWCA losing control of the ground.

Over the next century there was constant conflict between the Trust and the NSWCA over whether other sports such as rugby, tennis and cycling, the organisers of which were all keen to use the venue, had access to it. One conflict in 1904, over the Trust's plan to hold a cycling event which clashed with a cricket match, ended up in court. The NSWCA's influence was eventually reduced even further over the years due to changes in the way the State Government appointed trustees.

Development

By the time of the first Sydney cricket test in February 1882, the ground could boast two grandstands; the Brewongle Stand at the southern end and the original Members' Stand, which had been built in 1878 in the north west corner where the current Members' Stand now sits. On opposite sides of the ground to the stands two spectator mounds were built. They became known as The Hill and the Paddington Hill. In 1886, the Members' Pavilion was rebuilt at a cost of £6625. Membership was levied at two guineas. Between 1888 and 1890 a loop in the tram line, which ran down Randwick Road (now Anzac Parade), was built to service the Ground and the Pastoral and Agricultural Society Ground (later the RAS Showgrounds and now Fox Studios) next door.

In 1894 the ground finally received its modern name, the Sydney Cricket Ground, which was followed by the opening of the Hill Stand, situated between The Hill and the Paddington Hill. It became known as the Bob Stand during the Depression years because it cost one shilling (a bob) to enter. The first SCG scoreboard was built in the two weeks leading up to the 1895-1896 inter-colonial match between New South Wales and Victoria. Although it was Sheridan's idea, the design was Ned Gregory's who believed that English scoreboards were inadequate. Requiring two men to operate it, the new scoreboard was hailed as one of the wonders of the cricket world. Boards with players' names on them were placed in different slits alongside scrolls of canvas with numbers painted on them which were rolled up and down to show the changing score. Under the scoreboard was a refreshment stall which sold, among other things, oysters.

In 1896 the Ladies' Stand was opened, along with a concrete cycling track which circled the inside of the ground. One of the carpenters who built the formwork for the track was George Bradman, father of Don Bradman. In 1898 floodlights were built over the cycling track so that night events could be held. In 1904 the scoreboard was rebuilt at the top of The Hill and in 1909 the Sheridan Stand, named after Phil Sheridan, was opened at the southern end, replacing the earlier Smokers' Stand. In the period up to World War I the SCG was used for a wide variety of sports including athletics, tennis, baseball, football and cycling. The cycling track however was removed in 1920.

In 1924 Ned Gregory's scoreboard was closed and the concrete scoreboard at the back of the Hill opened. During the 1920s and 1930s crowds packed into the SCG to see Don Bradman play for New South Wales and Australia. Many of the huge gate takings that Bradman brought in for the NSWCA were spent on developing the ground. A large new stand was built at the northern end in two stages. It replaced the Northern Stand and was intended to also replace the Members' and Ladies' Stands. The first stage, begun while Bradman was still playing for New South Wales, was opened in 1936 at a cost of £90,000 and named the ‘M.A. Noble Stand' after the great Australian captain Monty Noble.

The second stage, completed in 1973 at a cost of $2 million, was named the Bradman Stand after the great man himself.

Further redevelopment of the ground began in 1978 with the advent of World Series Cricket and games played at night. When media giant Kerry Packer failed to obtain the television broadcast rights for cricket, he bought the top 30-40 players in the world and staged his own competition, World Series Cricket (WSC). Packer applied to use the SCG for WSC in 1977 but the SCG Trust, which administered the ground, refused. To please the powerful Packer, the NSW Labor Government under Premier Neville Wran, simply amended the Sydney Sports Ground and Cricket Ground Act. This removed the Trust's power to decide who played at the SCG and the NSWCA's traditional right over the ground. A new Trust was established with 12 members appointed by the Government and two elected by SCG members. The new Trust had no WSC opponents, and although legal action by the NSWCA stopped WSC games being played at the SCG in 1977, they were played there in 1978. The SCG scoreboard in 1950. ? In the years since WSC the character of the SCG has somewhat changed.

Six light towers were built in 1978 at a cost of $1.2 million so that cricket could be played at night, and two huge new stands were constructed at the southern end of the ground. The new Brewongle Stand was built on the site of the old Brewongle Stand at a cost $8.9 million and opened in 1980. The Churchill Stand, named after rugby league legend Clive Churchill, replaced the Sheridan Stand at a cost of $8.2 million and was opened in 1986.

The old concrete scoreboard was closed in 1983 and a new electronic board erected above The Hill. This board allowed the crowd to see video replays and provided more scope for advertising. The Bob Stand has also gone, to North Sydney Oval, replaced by the Bill O'Reilly Stand. This stand was originally named the Pat Hills Stand, after the NSW Labor Government Minister and SCG Trust member, when it was opened in 1984. However, the incoming State Liberal Government changed the name to the more appropriate O'Reilly Stand after the legendary spin bowler. The Hill also has gone but the reason for that is a little harder to pin. Up until the 1990s the Hill was a grassy slope without seating. It was the 'outer ground' costing the least to get in and attracting working class patronage.

The invention of the beer can and the portable cooler in the 1960s increased alcohol consumption at cricket matches which in turn fuelled bad crowd behaviour. In the 1970s the advent of limited overs games held partially at night attracted a different kind of crowd to cricket at the SCG. They were less interested in the subtleties of the game and more in the excitement and spectacle. Brawling and excessive drinking were features of the crowd on the Hill at this time. Even the introduction of individual seating on the Hill failed to completely eradicate crowd misbehaviour. Stricter measures such as banning alcohol were later implemented with greater success.

Further developments have taken place in more recent years with the internal reconstruction of the M.A. Noble stand completed in 1994 and the opening of the NSW Cricket Centre in 1997. This facility includes indoor training wickets and administrative offices for Cricket NSW (formerly NSW Cricket Association). In 1999 the original electronic scoreboard was replaced by a new higher-definition video screen. In the 21st Century the Hill has been completely redeveloped with a new 12,000 seat Victor Trumper Stand, completed in 2008. This stand brings the SCG's capacity to 46,000 spectators.

The SCG Trust has announced the MA Noble, Bradman and Dally Messenger Stands will be demolished and rebuilt before the 2015 Cricket World Cup, it will increase ground capacity to 48,000 spectators. Finally, after the 2015 Cricket World Cup, the Trust is keen to redevelop the Bill O'Reilly stand, further increasing the grounds capacity. The ground will be a near complete modern "bowl" stadium with the exception of the two heritage listed Members and Ladies stands.

As at January 25, 2013