Moremi fires AmaZulu past Sekhukhune

football18 May 2024 16:00| © Backpage TXT
article image

AmaZulu FC claimed a hard-fought 1-0 victory over Sekhukhune United in a DStv Premiership match played at the New Peter Mokaba Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

The victory elevated Usuthu to ninth in the league standings as they snapped their three-match winless run. The KwaZulu-Natal giants are set to wrap up their league campaign with a clash against Golden Arrows at home on 25 May.

Sekhukhune, on the other hand, slipped down to the sixth spot in the league standings after extending their winless run to five matches. Babina Noko will be away to Chippa United on 25 May in what will be the last game of the season.

The two goalkeepers were kept busy in the opening 15 minutes of the match as the two teams searched for an early goal. Veli Mothwa made a smart save to deny his Bafana Bafana teammate Elias Mokwana just four minutes into the encounter.

Usuthu threatened in the 10th minute when Taariq Fielies' header was saved by Badra Ali Sangare who was then beaten seven minutes later. An unmarked Tshepang Moremi netted with a thunderous left-footed shot to make it 1-0 to AmaZulu, who were leading at the interval.

Babina Noko pushed for the equalising goal after the restart, with Jamie Webber dragging his side forward from midfield. The former SuperSport United star tried his luck in the 55th minute, but he was denied by a well-positioned Mothwa.

George Maluleka and Hendrick Ekstein were keen to make an impact for AmaZulu in the dying minutes of the game. The former Kaizer Chiefs duo combined well in the 90th minute, but Ekstein was denied by Sangare and ultimately, the game ended in a 1-0 win in favour of Sekhukhune.

Sekhukhune (0) 0

AmaZulu (1) 1 (Moremi 17')

Sekhukhune: Sangare, Mobbie, Yamba, Cardoso, Tiwani, Mokotjo (Bwalya 70'), Mkhize, Mosadi (Masiya 46' Mokhele 90'+3), Webber, Mokwana, Ohizu (Sarpong 70').

AmaZulu: Mothwa, Jooste, Ngobeni, Gumede, Fielies, Mobara, Motshwari, Ngema (Maluleka 81'), Moremi (Ekstein 67'), Mbanjwa (Mphahlele 90'+1), Dion (Kwem 81').